I got the idea to check out this series from one of the blogs I am following. I am also a big fan of Japanese media (films and anime). A few months ago, I was able to see the Japanese drama, 10 Promises to My Dog, and I was quite impressed. It is about time for my next Japanese film.

One Litre of Tears (Ichi Rittoru No Namida) is an eleven-part Jdorama based on the life of a Japanese girl 20 years ago. It chronicles her life struggles in dealing with her incurable disease. I am quite certain though that the writers “sweetened” the story with additional events and characters. I came into that conclusion because some scenes are just too impossible to happen in real life:). Nevertheless, silly scenes aside, this show is of essence.

The series has its share of love story and a little bit of a comedy. Sawajiri Erika who played the lead character, Aya Ikeuchi, made such a noteworthy performance, that you feel her pain. In the same way, the actors who played the parents (Mizuo and Shioka) gave so much credibility that you would think they are the real parents. Later in the series, Aya’s younger sister Ako almost stole the show with her turnaround acting. I liked the character Ako; she is such a cool sister.

As with all telenovelas, there is an ample amount of cheesiness, but all of which I feel are excusable. You can ascribe it to the Japanese culture influence or just plain sappy writing. It is crazy at times, but I guess what is important for the series is to give due honour to the protagonist’s achievements.

A bit of warning though, people would most likely be afflicted with LSS (Last Song Syndrome) after watching this. For more than a week after seeing all episodes, you will still hear the theme song playing in your head. It is not that bad though because it is indeed a catchy tune.

Another thing I noticed with this series is that the characters speak a bit slower than usual. The sentence construction is a bit formal as well, so this is perfect for people learning Nihonggo. You extend your Japanese vocabulary while watching; how easy is that.

What is amazing though is that the director divides each episode in such a way, that you learn something new per episode. Aya’s life story is very humbling. She gave so much even it is difficult. She is a fighter who loves life and celebrates life by giving to others. Her efforts are truly admirable.

This is a poignant tale of a girl with a beautiful heart. This Jdorama is warm, inspiring and very moving. I highly recommend this to everyone. Check out the episodes at http://www.mysoju.com/1-litre-of-tears/.

1 Comment:

  1. chris.al said...
    Wow. Every point in this entry were so on. I'm addicted to this series and you literally wrote all the things I wanted to describe about this series. Kudos!

Post a Comment




 

http://notyouraveragenz.blogspot.com/
All Rights Reserved 2009